Sunday, March 5, 2017

Milestones by Melissa Lewkowicz

I still remember the birthday cake. It was unlike any birthday cake I'd ever had before. Even though my 16th birthday had passed just a couple weeks before, the cake wasn't for that birthday. 

The celebration was even bigger. I'd just asked Jesus to be my Savior. After my stepmom and dad heard the news, they knew they wanted to do something to celebrate...with birthday cake.  

My stepmom, Andrea, said she wanted to do something to celebrate me being reborn. Born from the Spirit, and not just from man. I remember them singing Happy Birthday to me, with my little brother and sister who were only 3 at the time, and feeling like it was the most important "birthday" ever.

I've always loved celebrating and it's always been something that comes naturally for me. However, it doesn't always have to look like cake and presents.  

About a year ago, my good friend, John Freeman, was talking to a small group of parents about raising and ministering to our adolescent children. Something that stood out to me about his talk was his encouragement to take time to celebrate our children's milestones. To speak blessing and truth into their lives in pivotal times, as to help remind them who they are, and who they are becoming. After that talk, I definitely wanted to do it for my own children.

This past week, my oldest, River, turned 13. THIRTEEN y'all. I can't even. She is graceful, beautiful and kind, and just an all-around amazing girl. She is also...a teenager, and all that comes with it. So, for this big number 13, I wanted to do something more than get together and have her family birthday dinner like every other year.

It felt like a perfect time to reflect on who she is, and a time to remind her of who God is leading her to be as she enters into this next realm of life. We gathered for dinner at a familiar restaurant where she loves to always have her birthday dinner. We had family and a few close friends, and enjoyed a delicious dinner. What she didn't know is that I had told everyone who was coming (and a few people who wished they could be there that couldn't be), that we would have a time of sharing at the end of dinner, to say things they loved about her, or to speak a blessing over her life.

But the reality is it was kind of awkward getting to this part of the evening. It was a busy Friday night and the restaurant was pretty loud. And even though we were in a side alcove, it was still open to the rest of the restaurant, making it extremely difficult to close off all of the hustle and bustle. We also had a group of about 20 of us there, at a long table, ages ranging from 4-70, needless to say it was really hard to hear everyone.

Then, of course my sweet 13-year-old daughter was going to feel pretty awkward all of a sudden having everyone turn and look at her and talk about her. Randy, my husband, was looking at me, as if to say, "Babe, I just don't think it's going to work." I really didn't know what to do. It felt like this was a great idea, but just not very possible for the setting.  And, maybe not even something she would want us to do.

But, then I realized something...it might not ever be the perfect setting, and it might always feel a little awkward, but it's still worth doing.

So, yes, it was loud, and we had to lean in a little to hear, and we all had to speak up, but she heard words of life, affirmation, and blessing. She heard things about herself that were life-giving, and soul stirring. Words that she might not remember exactly, but meaning and encouragement that she will never forget. 

I couldn't help but beam as I heard things about her that I know are true, but that others see in her as well.  She is becoming a beautiful woman of God, and I'm so thankful that I have a front row seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment